Who - whose dyed their eggs? - onion skin egg dying


onion skin dyed egg, easter egg, owl and the pussycat

update - I am reposting this because it is time to start saving those onion skins!!  I'm going to make a new batch this year so check back to see what I come up with OR sign up for my newsletter (in the column on the right) or follow me on instagram

Have you ever dyed eggs with onion skins?  Not only is it Eco-friendly, and creates the most gorgeous shade of red,  its just so science experimenty cool.

easter eggs in egg cups, onion skin dyed eggs, owl and the pussycat

After they are colored - I etch them with an old scratch board tool. These three were done - 18 years or so ago! - left uncracked the insides dry out and it sounds like a marble is inside.


onion skin dyed easter eggs, dragon, owl and the pussy cat


My designs are: Owl and the Pussycat, a maiden on horseback stopping a dragon, and a chicken wearing a ribbon that says " which came first" : )



owl and pussy cat, white horse, easter eggs, onion skin dyed eggs


Yesterday I dyed a new batch and hope to etch them tomorrow. Here's how I do it - ( Ive heard red cabbages makes a beautiful blue dye - got to try that!!)



onion skins, easter egg dye




All it takes is:





1/4 cup vinegar,
1 quart h2o
and the SKINS from about 15 yellow onions (yes yellow!! this makes red, trust me)

onion skins for egg dying

Put all three in a pot and bring to a boil, then simmer for about 30 min.
After that, strain the skins - some people let the dye cool, but I am way too impatient for that !
In go the eggs and bring to boil again.


Then shut off the heat and let them sit - the longer they sit, the deeper the red.
eggs in onion skin egg dye

Easy Peasy.
Now you are ready to etch in a design - be careful not to poke through the shell, use care to scratch away and reveal the white.
Have fun!  Show me how you did by posting a photo on instagram and tagging me!!



I'll let you know how the cabbage goes...


















SaveSave

5 comments

Sweet Enemy said...

Oh, these are fantastic! I've been meaning to try the onion-skin method for years, but didn't know you could scratch into it as well. Hmmm.... Much more my style of approach. Thank you!

Jeanette Jobson said...

These are beautiful. I love the owl and pussycat particularly. They have a lovely antique feel to them. I still have a few goose eggs left, perhaps I should try something with them. Thanks for the inspiration!

Stephanie Berry said...

Just gorgeous! Beautiful work!

Linda Popple said...

Just gorgeous and I like that they last!

Partycraft Secrets said...

Love it - I made some last year, but not as pretty as yours - I'm going to link to this post on Facebook; hope that's ok.
Linda

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Partycraft-Secrets/239045209469228

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...